By Mark J. Boda, Carol J. Dempsey, LeAnn Snow Flesher
This quantity showcases contemporary exploration of the portrait of Daughter Zion as she seems to be in biblical Hebrew poetry. utilizing Carleen Mandolfos Daughter Zion Talks again to the Prophets (Society of Biblical Literature, 2007) as some extent of departure, the individuals to this quantity discover clone of Daughter Zion in its many dimensions in numerous texts within the Hebrew Bible. ways used variety from poetic, rhetorical, and linguistic to sociological and ideological. To deliver the dialog complete circle, Carleen Mandolfo engages in a dialogic reaction along with her interlocutors.
Read Online or Download Daughter Zion: Her Portrait, Her Response PDF
Best old testament books
This quantity makes on hand in English for the 1st time a really vital workforce of medieval and Renaissance texts on biblical poetry. The publication comprises excerpts from seventeen Judaeo-Arabic and Hebrew texts and contains the paintings of recognized figures similar to Judah Halevi, Moshe ibn Ezra, Don lsaac Abravanel, and Azariah de' Rossi, in addition to lesser-known works that show a wealthy yet ignored culture of severe debate on biblical poetics.
It is a thoroughly revised and improved version of a vintage textual content. Drawing on fresh paintings on criminal and didactic fabric and together with extra literary interpretation, Blenkinsopp lines the process comparable key traditions--law and wisdom--throughout the historical past of Israel within the biblical interval.
The essays in Bible hassle all interact queer theories for reasons of biblical interpretation, a unprecedented attempt thus far inside of biblical scholarship. The name word Bible hassle performs on Judith Butler s Gender difficulty, gesturing towards a major textual content for modern queer idea. The essays reflect on, between others, the Lazarus tale, the Ethiopian eunuch, gender hassle in Judges four and five, the music of Songs, and an unorthodox coupling of the books of Samuel and the movie Paris Is Burning.
Even if makes an attempt to appreciate the expansion of aniconism concentrate on the Pentateuchal felony fabric, students more and more make connection with the prophetic literature to light up the talk. Jill Middlemas presents the 1st accomplished research of the prophets with awareness to rhetorical techniques that replicate anti-iconic concept and advertise iconoclasm.
- Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, and the Song of Songs (Westminster Bible Companion)
- Kingdom Prologue: Genesis Foundations for a Covenantal Worldview
- Symbol and Rhetoric in Ecclesiastes: The Place of Hebel in Qohelet's Work
- A Critical Engagement: Essays on the Hebrew Bible in Honour of J. Cheryl Exum
- The Non-Israelite Nations in the Book of the Twelve: Thematic Coherence and the Diachronic-Synchronic Relationship in the Minor Prophets
Extra info for Daughter Zion: Her Portrait, Her Response
Although Mandolfo has pointed to the appearance of a more varied form,9 several additional points can be made with respect to the rhetorical strategies employed by the poet, the importance of rhetoric in Lamentations, and how interruptions in the context convey meaning. In addition, her study highlights not only a contrary voice, but one whose efficacy stems from the evocation of suffering. Part of what allows the rhetoric of Lady Jeru7. This point has been made previously by Linafelt, Surviving Lamentations, 52; and Kathleen M.
49. Keefe, Woman’s Body, 2. GREEN: COGNITIVE LINGUISTICS 35 Second, what can we see about them that it appears they did not see about themselves? The choices of Jeremiah’s opponents—those with responsibility for maintaining the household—were few, and determined largely by location. 50 Jeremiah’s sense that “heritage Yahwism” must survive in a microclimate of its own, could exist in a little niche amid a Babylonian (or Egyptian or Persian) majority, was not realistic, ultimately. And yet perhaps that is what he did see: the decision to walk to exile was more survivable for Yhwh’s people than the alternatives—to be dragged there or to make an arrangement with Egypt.
21); thief caught (v. 26); rebel, be punished (v. 29); lose way (v. 31); bloodied by poor (v. 34); betrayed by erstwhile allies (v. 36). 26 DAUGHTER ZION: HER PORTRAIT, HER RESPONSE woman were not exploited as they might have been, since rape is not part of marriage. However, once I decided that I had read the language too narrowly, the kaleidoscopic pieces reconfigured. If the gender-specific language (“adultery”) is part of a larger complex of ideas, with charges of false worship being simply one player on a team of images, the focus expands.